Re: Packaging questions

On 11/13/06, Benjamin Mesing <bensmail@gmx.net> wrote:
[Why is it, that nobody honors my request for CC?]

Thanks for the answers. I would definitely recommend to create a
java5.0-compiler and java5.0-runtime package.

I don't like the idea because the development environment is not just
about a compiler; also, there are plans for java6 and java7: how many
virtual package will we have in Debian?

As Java should be compatible with old compiled code, we should drop
old jdk's/jre's when new are out. Maybe keep two version at the same
time for a moment and then, drop it.

The evolution of GNU Classpath will soon permit we move every package
to java5. We'll have to refactory the way we create the java virtual
packages with the Sun's jdk/jre in main in April or so.

Cheers,

--
Arnaud Vandyck