Re: Apache Commons packaging question

Hi Manuel,

Manuel Prinz schrieb:
2. The commons-math tarball ships three jars containing the class files,
source files and documentation, respectively. Is it OK to just put them
in the Debian package (as they are) or should I extract the source and
rebuild a Debian source package from that? (The tarball is 4.5 MB large,
extracted sources are 2.3 MB, tarred+gzipped 270 KB.)

We have got lots of pre-built jars in the jbossas source tarball. The original maintainers Torsten/Varun wrote an orig-tar.sh script triggered by a get-orig-source target in their rules file that automatically strips all binaries from the source tarball and re-packages it. The generated Debian source package contains no binaries at all.

I think this is the right way to go as it keeps source packages considerably smaller and above all ensures that non-free binaries could never creep into build and/or runtime. I think it's ok (and necessary) to upload documentation in the source package, however. Otherwise how would you be able to make your ...-doc-... package?

3. Is the above case known from other commons libraries? I'd be thankful
for a pointer to a package that I could have a look at.

See [1].

Regards,

Florian

[1] http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/contrib/j/jbossas4/jbossas4_4.2.2.GA-5.dsc