Re: Cleanup in .orig.tar.gz or debian/rules?

Hi Philipp,

I now ask myself, when and were should I replace those libraries:
1. Only in the final debian/jspwiki/ tree (but build with the original
   .jar files)
2. Each time during the debian/rules run
3. Once in the .orig.tar.gz (the download is only availabe as .zip)

I think Debian policy doesn't allow you to depend on pre-built jars even during build phase.

IMHO you should strip the jars from the original tar directly after download so that they do not end up in the source package. This is the only way you can make sure that you'll never (even unknowingly) use non-free prebuilt binaries.

See [1] and [2] for a similar case today.

You'll then BuildDepend on Debian packages that contain the jars you require for build and put these jars in your build-classpath. There are different ways to do this. I currently use cdbs which provides an env variable that you simply fill with the jars you need for your build. Matthew has done a script called java-propose-classpath which is part of the javahelper package. This may also prove useful.

If you have an exotic upstream build system it might be necessary to use symlinks for build but in most cases this will probably not be necessary.

See [3] for a simple example on how I used cdbs/debhelper with ant.

If you need symlinks for runtime I propose you add them through debhelper's dh_links during the install phase.

I am new to Debian and not a DD. So maybe one of the experienced DDs will want to check my statement?

Florian

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2008/07/msg00022.html
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2008/07/msg00026.html
[3] http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/j/jaranalyzer/