Re: Problems packing eclipse RCP application elexis

Niklaus Giger wrote:
> Am Samstag 20 Februar 2010 21:01:34 schrieb Niels Thykier:
> [...]
>>
>> Is your git repository available publicly?
> Try git clone git://ngiger.dyndns.org/git/debian_packages.git
> I just did set it up on my local home server. Could not test whether you have
> access from outside. If it doesn't work, just mail again.

That worked just fine

>>> I managed to compile already a few java files after having added
> <...>
>> It will not be fixed and nor is it a bug really; however, the coming
>> eclipse package will ship with build helpers to deal with this.
>>
>> eclipse comes with its very own set of build scripts and an ant-wrapper
>> that eclipse plugins usually use for their compilation (featuring stuff
>> like pre and post compile hooks etc.). I cannot recommend attempting to
>> emulate this with regular ant; also the ant-wrapper itself is run via
>> eclipse - which tends to make it try and create/access $HOME/.eclipse,
>> causing FTBFS on the buildd machines (e.g. see #480693).
>>
>> eclipse-build (our direct upstream for eclipse) has managed to compile a
>> few scripts that can build an eclipse feature/plugin while hiding most
>> of the difficulties of beating eclipse into behaving sanely during a
>> headless build. Furthermore we have begun creating debian specific
>> helper systems to use these scripts.
>>
>> This is one of the reasons why I would like to see your git repository -
>> to see if there is anything we can do to assist you and the application
>> you are building.
> Thanks a lot for your explications and your offer for help. Where is the
> repository you work on? I would not mind trying an inofficial snapshot to test
> your scripts.
>
> Best regards.

I have moved most of the helpers to javatools[1], where they are now
available. I will be adding more and probably changing the interface to
them as well as I get more experience with writing these tools and using
them.

However, the most important tool is building these plugins is
"pde-build" (upstream refers to it as pdebuild, but that named clashed
with a pbuilder tool, so we have renamed it). This script is (together
with a helper) generated during the build of eclipse.

Sadly our current master branch[2] is broken by some regressions when we
switched to the 3.5.2 branch. You can however build eclipse using
pkg-java's mini-install[3] - the 3.5.1 sources are there (depending on
your arch it may even be precompiled for you). You will need
libmortbay-java and libjasper-java to build and install it (they are
built and available from the arch all part).

That version of eclipse probably do not ship with pde-build (and if it
does, it is still by its old name). To this end I have created a little
tar.gz that can generate pde-build from an installed eclipse [4]. I am
not sure that pde-build is compatible with eclipse 3.4; you are welcome
to try of course.

To generate pde-build, just run (requires that eclipse-pde is installed):
 $ make
 $ sudo make install

~Niels

[1] http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-java/javatools.git