Re: Backporting Eclipse

* Niels Thykier:

> On 2011-11-10 11:48, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> * Niels Thykier:
>>
>>> That being said - that line is only a warning as I recall, so that
>>> cannot be reason for a failure.  Also, this is not OSGi, but
>>> eclipse-build's OSGi checker that emits this warning.
>>
>> Yes, the actual build failure was listed below.  The Jetty JAR
>> references include a version number, and we've got a newer Jetty
>> version, so that broke the build.  Would it make sense to file a bug
>> about this?  It's particularly inconvenient because those references are
>> inside the eclipse-build-generatedScripts.tar.bz2 file.
>>
>> Thankfully, I've now got a backport which appears to be working. 8-)
>>

> Yeah, eclipse-build-generatedScripts.tar.bz2 is a pain to deal with, but
> the alternative is to have eclipse Build-Depends on itself.  If I
> understood the Fedora people right, you generally need the same major
> version of eclipse to bootstrap it (i.e. eclipse 3.7 can only be
> bootstrapped by eclipse 3.7).
>   So currently it appears to be the lesser of two evils.

Objective Caml and GCJ ship bytecode of the compiler and bootstrap from
that.  That's another approach, but it reeks of a DFSG violation.

> You can also hand-edit the files in
> eclipse-build-generatedScripts.tar.bz2, which was how I prepared the
> initial 3.7~exp upload.  :)  (Though I guess this is how you did it
> :P)

Yeah, and looking at #648641, the issue is likely more generic.  How
much control do we have over the script generation?  I wonder if we
could tweak it to use the shortest possible symlink in /usr/share/java
instead of (essentially) the output of realpath.  This way, we wouldn't
have the version number in the the JAR reference, avoiding tight
coupling to a particular library version.

Actually, I don't think installing Java libraries with versioned names
is such a good idea.  We don't do proper versioning for incompatible
library upgrades anyway, and need not support parallel installation of
multiple versions.

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer@bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99