Re: Are there any java7-jdk providers other then openjdk-7-jdk?

On 10/26/2013 08:05 AM, Joachim Zobel wrote:
> Hi.
>
> There are none in wheezy, are there any outside of debian? ubuntu?
> oracle?
>
> (I found I can reduce complexity of my netbeans patch if I go straight
> for openjdk-7-jdk instead of java7-jdk).

Hi,

make-jpkg in the java-package package allows a user to download a JDK
from Oracle and build a .deb from it.  The provides line for the most
recent JDK is:

Provides: java-browser-plugin, java-compiler, java-runtime,
java-runtime-headless, java-sdk, java-virtual-machine, java2-compiler,
java2-runtime, java2-runtime-headless, java2-sdk, java5-runtime,
java5-runtime-headless, java5-sdk, java6-runtime,
java6-runtime-headless, java6-sdk, java7-runtime,
java7-runtime-headless, java7-sdk

So you'll note that the provides is for java7-sdk (not java7-jdk).  The
JDK gets installed into /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-7-oracle-x64/

Note that I'm not saying you should or must support this, only that it's
not uncommon for users to install the JDK in this manner.  Ideally
everyone would use the JDK packaged within Debian, but it doesn't work
out that way for a variety of reasons.  (And FWIW, it is getting better.
 Java5 was quite complicated in this regard.)

Hope that helps.
tony