Re: Tomcat version for jessie

On 06/01/2014 09:27 AM, Miguel Landaeta wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 01, 2014 at 02:34:42PM +0200, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
>> Le 31/05/2014 17:30, Moritz Mühlenhoff a écrit :
>>
>> IMHO Tomcat 8.0.8 is good enough for Jessie. This release was voted
>> stable by 2 Tomcat developers out of 5. It's likely to be voted stable
>> before the freeze.
>
> I tend to concur with this. What I'm sure is tomcat6 should not be
> included in "jessie". Maybe it could be wise to do the
> migration/testing work needed for libservlet2.5-java (provided by
> tomcat6) directly on tomcat8.
>
> Thoughts?

In addition to libservlet2.5-java, I think we should have some sense of
how tomcat6 and tomcat7 users will be affected by having tomcat8-only
available in jessie.  That is, are there incompatibilities or changes in
behavior people need to be aware of?  Do we need to provide a migration
script of some sort?  We already know about the username differences -
are there others?

I don't like to merely pose the questions, but am not regularly running
tomcat in production anymore, and so don't have ready answers. I don't
want users to feel like they're stranded with their existing tomcat6/7
installations.

Thanks,
tony