Re: Re: RFS: new upstream version (3.0.10) of jnr-posix

> On 04/06/2015 09:39 PM, Potter, Tim (Cloud Services) wrote:
>> Next on the list of Jruby dependencies is an updated version (3.0.10)
>> of the jnr-posix library.  The current version in the archive is
>> out-of-date (1.1.8) and requires libconstantine-java which conflicts
>> with any package that requires libjnr-constants-java.  I’ve renamed
>> this and converted the build system to maven-debian-helper.

[snip]

> I have pushed a few minor changes and believe that src:jnr-posix in and
> of itself is ready for upload to experimental.
>
> However, eclipse-pydev isn't building after swapping out
> libconstantine-java for libjnr-constants-java, so it'll be a bit before
> I upload.  Also, until the new jnr-ffi hits experimental, jnr-posix
> won't build from experimental, so waiting a bit won't hurt.

I now have jython building against the new versions of jnr-posix and
jnr-constants (pushed to pkg-java in the "debian-experimental" branch -
this seems to be a common convention for other teams).  gradle needs a
similar effort. It's mostly light refactoring, but it takes a bit of time.

My question for the list is just how "sloppy" experimental can be during
this transition?  For example, I could go ahead and upload jnr-posix,
which will break the build-r-deps that aren't yet patched, but may also
others to get started on transitioning r-deps and eventually allow us to
transition more quickly.  At some point we'll break things temporarily
anyway, since jnr-posix, jnr-ffi, jnr-constants (and jffi?) all need to
hit the archive at the same time to allow building of their refactored
r-deps.

Any thoughts on materializing these new versions as uploads to
experimental while we get everything in place?

Thank you,
tony