Re: Making OpenJDK 7 the default in Wheezy-LTS

Hello Markus,

On 03/24/2016 12:03 PM, Markus Koschany wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Wheezy-LTS is going to start next month and there is the intention to
> switch the default-jre|jdk from OpenJDK 6 to OpenJDK 7 because the
> latter can be supported until Wheezy reaches EOL in 2018-05-31.
>
> I've pushed a new branch wheezy-lts to java-common with the necessary
> changes in debian/rules.
>
> https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-java/java-common.git/tree/debian/rules?h=wheezy-lts
>
> Can someone confirm that this is really sufficient to switch the default
> to OpenJDK 7?
>
> Is there a way to change the preferred Java environment to OpenJDK 7
> with update-alternatives, assumed OpenJDK 6 was installed before? Is
> this a good idea or should we just warn users about the fact that they
> use an unsupported Java version on their system and recommend to do the
> switch manually?

Since things could potentially break, or the user might have already
performed some custom configuration, I think warning the user via a new
NEWS entry (see [1]) in java-common is appropriate.  Then the user can
take the necessary/desired action.

> Otherwise I have identified four packages that strictly depend on
> openjdk-6-jdk and fourteen packages that depend on openjdk-6-jre without
> a good alternative. My intention is to switch the dependencies to
> something like default-jre | java6-runtime or default-jdk | java6-sdk.
> The change is trivial, I was just wondering why so many packages were in
> this state back then.

I recall there being some confusion (perhaps also perpetrated or
propagated by me) as to the Right Way of specifying a java runtime
dependency.  We could (and probably should) add a lintian warning about
such strict dependencies.

> Any suggestions what should be avoided or done when switching the
> default to OpenJDK 7 in Wheezy?

I believe you are forging a new trail here.  Thank you for investing in
LTS support.

Cheers,
tony

[1]