Re: sbt / scala and jdk 6 and 8

[btw are you subscribed to the list? Then I don't need to CC you]

Am 14.02.19 um 00:09 schrieb Thomas Finneid:
[...]
> No matter how one looks at it, Debian needs to make a strategy change
> regarding OpenJdk releases and versions supported.

We did take all that into consideration. :) If you had followed our
efforts during the past two years in unstable, you would have noticed
several transitions. We are fully aware of the new Oracle release model
and it is even more painful for distributions like Debian. We will never
ship a six month release in a stable version of Debian but we had to
adapt to all the changes that happened in OpenJDK 9 and 10 before we
made OpenJDK 11 the default. Every challenge you can see as a developer,
we can see on a scale of 1000 source packages too. You can only do two
things: Stick with the older OpenJDK 8 for library foo and application
bar or port everything to OpenJDK 11. If you mix both approaches you
have to support two OpenJDKs, if you can manage to port them to the LTS
release, you can simply use one long-term supported JDK for everything.

If you want to keep OpenJDK 8 in Debian, then there is Debian bug
#920037 for you:

https://bugs.debian.org/920037

You need to covince Moritz Muehlenhoff (security team) and Matthias
Klose (maintainer of OpenJDK).

Regards,

Markus