Re: OpenJDK for Bookworm and beyond

On Mon, 31 Oct 2022, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

> Also worth noting, default-jre now provides a versioned java-runtime
> dependency. This means we can now replace the java<n>-runtime dependencies
> with java-runtime (>= n).

No, we really should not: the various JDKs also only provide
java<n>-runtime and this dependency is specifically meant to
also make it possible for software to use a JRE *other* than
the default (the dependency reads like
	default-jre (>= x) | javaX-runtime
by design/for a reason).

Given how they stretch across versions and how many releases
are supportable (ELTS from jessie on, *buntu from trusty on)
I will argue that if and only if the openjdk-X source packages
also start providing these _now_, that we can start switching
to the versioned java-runtime provide in 2030, maybe later.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
Infrastrukturexperte • tarent solutions GmbH
Am Dickobskreuz 10, D-53121 Bonn • http://www.tarent.de/

/⁀\ The UTF-8 Ribbon
╲ ╱ Campaign against      Mit dem tarent-Newsletter nichts mehr verpassen:
 ╳  HTML eMail! Also,     https://www.tarent.de/newsletter
╱ ╲ header encryption!