FYI: I created a Gradle issue for bootstrappable Debian support

Hi Everyone,

I appreciate the efforts of the Debian Java team and know that your job is not easy.

I work on bitcoinj (Java) and we are (for better or worse) using Gradle for our builds. We are stuck supporting Gradle 4.4.x, when the latest version of Gradle 8.3 (or 8.4) is required to support JDK 21 (if you're not using the Debian-patched Gradle, of course.)

I had thought there was already an issue for this on the Gradle GitHub project, but today I couldn't find anything. So I created a new one:
https://github.com/gradle/gradle/issues/26516

I thought I would share that with you for reference purposes. Or maybe someone might want to comment on the issue, especially if anyone from Gradle responds or asks questions.

I'm hoping that priorities at Gradle may be changing now that supply-chain security has become a more visible issue in the industry. (Yes, I'll admit to being an optimist.)

Anyway, thanks for your efforts. We do appreciate them.

Regards,

Sean

p.s. If you're interested in how we are dealing with this at bitcoinj, I created an issue there as well:
https://github.com/bitcoinj/bitcoinj/issues/3287