Re: A setup for a Linux machine for children (Was: Stephane se preoccupe des utilisateurs

On Thursday 16 March 2000, at 9 h 25, the keyboard of Andreas Tille
<tillea@rki.de> wrote:

> Question: What is a "chrooted" system?

[I was looking for a good resource online about Unix, explaining things like
chroot. Any idea?]

chroot is a Unix system call (and a program which uses it, 'man chroot') which
CHanges the ROOT of the file system to another directory you mention.

It is typically used in security-conscious environments because, once you
chrooted, there is no way back and anything you do, even when you're root, is
confined to the chrooted system. FTP servers do it for ages. Besides setup for
children, it can be used to secure unattended Unix machines ("kiosks").

Since there is absolutely no way to reach the rest of the filesystem, once you
chrooted, setting up chrooted systems can be tricky. I tried several things
before sticking with the setup I document.

FreeBSD has a system which is regarded as technically superior, jail, but
which is non-portable, unlike chroot.

> Critics ;-)) : Why isn't there a link on Debian-Jr to this page? ;-)

It would be great to have other pages like this one, detailing success (or failure) stories.