Re: Debian for education

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 10:58:58PM +0800, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
> > May be they would do so in the future ...
> > This would enable also Debian-Jr to include their stuff.
> >

> If I *remember well*, one of the things they need with the package is to
> be installed automaticly so very few human-computer interaction is needed
> during the install, this is also the reason they need to repackage
> all the original package.

Isn't this precisely what debconf is for?  Packages under debconf
prioritize the installation dialogue.  If little interaction is desired,
set it so that only the highest priority questions are asked.  Or am I
missing something here?  Granted, debconf is not yet universally
implemented.  Nor does it seem that everything will be under debconf for
woody's release.  Nevertheless, it seems that this goal of reducing
human-computer interaction is compatible with the work of Debian as a
whole, and should be done from within Debian rather than as duplicated
effort by an outside body.

Ben