Language Learning [was Re: Knoppix]

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 11:16:14AM +0100, Tille, Andreas wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Mark Purcell wrote:
>
> > For those of us already using KDE, with the konqueror extensions there is
> > already a babelfish icon on the task bar, it is a simple matter of hitting
> > the 'German to English', 'German to French' or whatever, and konqueror will
> > translate inline through babelfish.
> On the other hand Babelfish is known to do a very bad job at German texts
> because German has a quite complicated syntax.

Speaking as a non-German who once took lessons at the local
Goethe-Institut, I found German syntax (and German grammar as a
whole) to be more consistent than that of English. It's easier, for
example, to identify a german Noun (see what I mean).

Speaking of languages, does anybody know of any GPL'ed or DSFG-free
foreign language learning tools? Maybe not a full tutorial that would
cost $$ to develop, but something set in a game-like environment like
a memory card game.

--
Humanity's future is in the stars:
support a manned mission to Mars!