Re: [Slightly OT] Philosophy (was Re: Replacement for Abiword: LyX? Openoffice?)

On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 11:44, Derek Neighbors wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 16:26, Ron Johnson wrote:
[snip]

> > Ok, here's another provocative question: why is it needed?  Anyone
> > over 40 grew up without computers, and there are lots of 40+ geeks.
> > (Those of us who are 40+ can attest to this.)
>
> This is silly logic.  If every generation used this logic, we wouldn't
> have heaters, air conditioners, motor vehicles and plethora of other
> modern advances.  Are they mandatory to sustain life?  No, but they help
> better the quality of life.  For example in this day and age it would be
> fairly hard to imagine not having motorized vehicles in all but probably
> New York or Chicago.

Your logic is faulty, I think, since the point was children, and
early exposure to computers, not health and technological progress.

For example, heaters are necessary for survival in Buffalo, and
without air conditioners and pumps to drain the water, New Orleans
and Washingto DC would be hazzardous places to live (yellow fever
was rampant until the turn of the century).

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"they love our milk and honey, but preach about another way of
living"
Merle Haggard, "The Fighting Side Of Me"