Re: [Doudoulinux-dev] Uploading DouDouLinux packages to Debian

Hi Jean-Michel,

On Thu, Feb 06, 2014 at 12:33:04AM +0100, Jean-Michel Philippe wrote:

> > Do you have a list of packages that are in DouDouLinux but not (yet)
> > in Debian? There are several people that would like to help with
> > package and upload DouDouLinux software to Debian.
>
> The full, raw list of packages available is online:
>
> http://debian.doudoulinux.org/pkglist.php
>
> There are no descriptions though, this is a simple real-time file list.
> It is probably better if I take the time to write a short description
> somewhere.

I do not think that anybody should waste time with creating such lists.
There are better techniques available.  Please consider the following
only as *demonstration* what is possible - not as finished work!  I
commited three new tasks files:

  http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/blends?view=revision&revision=3966

This single commit took less than five minutes and the information was
obtained from the respective doudoulinux metapackages.  The effect are
three new pages in the web senitinel:

  http://blends.debian.org/junior/tasks/doudou-base
  http://blends.debian.org/junior/tasks/doudou-dev-artists
  http://blends.debian.org/junior/tasks/doudou-games

I have no idea how the doudoulinux metapackages might be created but I
do any bet that you are doing it in a time consuming manual way.  I wonder
whether you might want to do it the right way (tm)?  Instead of making
lists of packages missing in Debian you can add these as prospective
packages described here:

  http://blends.debian.org/blends/ch08.html#edittasksfiles

So everybody knows our TODO list and you can add the location of your
DoudouLinux inofficial packages as "Pkg-URL" field where we can grab
from and move it to main Debian.

> > Maybe the system-tools packages is a candidate for upload to Debian?
>
> I agree to tell that if not all our packages can get into Debian as is,
> at least all of them should be considered as possible candidates as a
> start. However I have to purge the list from obsolete packages first, to
> avoid spending time on useless packages.

... and include the non-obsolete ones as suggested above.

> Our l10n packages are updates of translations. I understood that package
> updates in Debian rarely include newer translations. For this reason I
> found more convenient to introduce our own l10n packages.

Are these translations of package descriptions or translations of the
according software?  In any case I think your translators would be very
well advised to work together with the according upstream.  Having good
translations hanging around at "random places" (and DoudouLinux is some
random place) simply sucks and will trigger the need for duplicated
work.

> > You probably have lots of ideas and thoughts about sending stuff
> > upstream or uploading to Debian. Please share them!
>
> Sending stuff upstream for a derivative is likely complicated because
> many projects are involved and it would then require a lot of time.
> Maybe upstream project could be alerted automatically using email
> information of packages, when a patched package is being tracked by the
> derivatives tools?

Reasonable upstreams have some bug tracking system.  Please make sure
that your nice work becomes available for everybody!  If it is about
package translations you can use straight DDTP server (see also links to
translations on the web sentinel pages I was linking to above).

> We are also facing this issue for translations. Contributing them back
> to either upstream or Debian is time consuming and nobody in our team
> has decided to take this role, although this question is regularly asked
> by our translators on our lists. The ideal situation would be a single,
> global translation repository for all the free projects, what Transifex
> is finally trying to do. Aggregating translations from upstream, to
> avoid redoing the work twice, was a recent discussion in DoudouLinux
> team and seems quite feasible. Dispatching them back to upstream is
> likely much more difficult since we would need write access to upstream
> repositories if we don't want to spend too much time into repetitive
> tasks. We would probably not get such write access for a machine…

As I said: Reasonable upstream usually have a bug tracking system or any
contact point you can send the translation to.  This information should
be also in the according debian/copyright file.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de