Re: [OT] KDM No Longer In KDE ?!?

On 20/02/14 02:57, Rubin Abdi wrote:
> I've used X forwarding for resource heavy GUI apps, such as Gephi.

As have I, and Xdmcp (see Subject title). But both are a lot less
efficient, and have less applications than X2Go.

> Due to your average cafe hipster wanting to be a modern trend setter,
> lots of projects are unfortunately specifically designed and packaged
> for Ubuntu.

Cafe hipsters? (I'm not going to comment on the Ubuntu um, silliness)
Don't forget those that have the luxury of high speed internet
connections and/or high powered computers, which most of the world
*doesn't* have - both of which are base requirements if you want to use
X forwarding for graphically intensive remote displays. The alternatives
like using HTML5 have considerable advantages without the limitations
and failings of X forwarding.

> I can either sit here for a weekend and get something like
> Tilemill properly running under Debian, or dump the thing into a throw
> away Ubuntu virtual machine and X forward that crap over.
>
> X forwarding has its uses.

So does sticky tape, but it doesn't mean I won't consider nails and
screws ;)

Kind regards