Re: Some information about the removal of Qt 4 and remaining KDE SC 4.14

Hi Rob.

Rob Brewer - 26.08.19, 09:57:19 CEST:
> Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
> >> Also most of the stuff above is RM'd from Debian archive already
> >> and *won't* receive any security updates from now on anymore.
> >
> > As usual, you can find such packages with
> > $ apt-show-versions | fgrep 'No available'
>
> " knode:amd64 4:4.14.10-7+b3 installed: No available version in
> archive "
>
> So this will presumably leave kde without a working newsreader and
> since I use a mail to news gateway to read this list and several
> others will mean I will no longer be able to see if this is resolved
> unless I jump through  a lot of hoops.
>
> I was aware this would happen someday but it's very sad.

Hmmm… yes. KNode is not maintained by upstream anymore:

https://kde.org/applications/unmaintained/org.kde.knode

See also:

[kdepim4] Future Qt4 removal from Buster

https://bugs.debian.org/874947

There has been thoughts to integrate news reading into Akonadi based
KMail, but this has never been completed.

So unless someone ports KNode to KF 5 / Qt 5, it would be gone for now.

You can delay this by not cleaning up and hoping it will be able to
remain installed for at least a little longer. But sooner or later… it
would be time to say goodbye (or work on it).

You may opt to subscribe to the mailing list. I use KMail with it and it
works okay. I still use POP3 so I let it download and filter locally into
a folder. KMail has good mailing list support, so answers go to the
list, unless the sender set a Reply-To to a different location. (I do not
recommend the latter.)

It is a bit of a pity. For many the Internet is just Web 2.0 anymore.
That there is a lot of other services with usable fat clients…

Best,
--
Martin