Re: Package Qt WebEngine dictionaries

Hi,

Am 18.09.22 um 00:32 schrieb Soren Stoutner:
I noticed that Debian does not currently ship packages for Qt WebEngine dictionaries.  Qt WebEngine can use Hunspell dictionaries compiled into a special binary format using qwebengine_convert_dict from the qtwebengine5-dev-tools package.

https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtwebengine-features.html#spellchecker

The binary packages should be placed (currently) in the /usr/share/qt5/qtwebengine_dictionaries directory, although I would assume that it would make sense to create a symlink from /usr/share/qt6/qtwebengine_dictionaries, and I would assume that when qt6 becomes the default the binary files should move there.

Can't they be built at runtime by a trigger like PostgreSQL does?

I created a feature request to work with the maintainer of the English Hunspell dictionary package (src: scowl) and it seems like the best way to handle this would be to use the existing source to create these binary files
yup
, either in the existing binary package or in a separate package.

I'd argue for a separate package since this .bdic is QtWebengine specific isn't it? Nothing else uses it.

Whereas the hunspell dicts as-is are used by various applications.

My questions for the Debian KDE community is if there is a preference for the naming convention of a possible new binary package

no comment for this :)

and if the proposed file locations and symlinks are the best way to handle the installation

As the person who wrote the initial hunspell policy I don't like those .bdic files in /usr/share/hunspell.

> My plan was to wait and see how things landed with the English package and then reach out to the maintainers of the other Hunspell languages and offer assistance to add the Qt WebEngine dictionaries to their packages as well.

One could have also talked to the hunspell maintainer....

Regards,

Rene