Re: Debian kernel packaging: changes forthcoming in kernel-package 11.x

On Wed, 2 May 2007 23:18:28 +0200, maximilian attems <max@stro.at> said:

> heya manoj, you didn't respond on my point putting the scripts under
> /usr/share/kernel. this is a crucial decision.

> initramfs-tools has both /etc/initramfs-tools/{hooks,scripts} that
> take precendence over packaging files in
> /usr/share//initramfs-tools/{hooks,scripts} that allows very handy
> local configurabilty.

        Where packages put their scripts is up to the  packages;
 currently the postinst only runs the scripts under /etc/kernel.  Are
 you suggesting that be changed?

> On Wed, 02 May 2007, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>> On Wed, 2 May 2007 10:11:11 +0200, maximilian attems <max@stro.at>
>> said:
>>
>> > the default one unless other specified.
>>
>> Which generator is the default one? Right now, we have a hard-coded
>> algorithm that decides whether to use one or the other, unless the
>> user overrides it, and I want to move that decision making logic
>> (even if it is configurable) out of the postinst.

> that is pretty clear by the logic of the postinst: initramfs-tools is
> the default (popcon will tell that too ;) d-i uses it as default too.
> afaik no other initramfs generator works on all release archs.

        This is just the case now. I have no idea what the situation is
 going to be in a month. Or a year. Or five years.  I don't think
 keeping track of the currently popular package is something I want to
 do.

>> So, we can use alternatives to have bootloaders and initrd-generators
>> cooperate; so we don't have to have a over-arching configuration.

> nack alternatives is not a scalable tool.  default unless
> /etc/kernel/initramfs overrides the default
> /usr/share/kernel/initramfs

        You mean /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs ?

        Why is alternatives not scalable? At the moment, I see just a
 couple if initramfs generators,  which seems perfectly fine for
 alternatives.  Same goes for bootloaders, actually.

        manoj
--
"Excuse me, Worker, I'll just be a nanosecond." a computer, from
Firesign Theater's "I Think We're All Bozos On This Bus"