Re: loop-aes-modules unusable in Etch for sparc64 due to missing kernel symbols?

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 11:37:51AM -0800, Chris Poon wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It seems that the kernel package for sparc64 have the loop driver built-in
> instead of being a module, which makes loop-aes unusable - can't load either
> the loop.ko or the loop-aes.ko, kernel that the module export duplicate
> symbol loop_register_transfer (owned by kernel), and trying to mount a
> loop-aes swap results in "swapon: LOOP_SET_STATUS failed" as the built-in
> loop driver doesn't know what to do with the loop-aes options.
>
> I assume the kernel ABI will change if the loop driver is compiled as a
> module instead but to allow loop-aes to work, it's either a module or
> not built it at all (which doesn't make sense if you don't use loop-aes
> but still uses the loop driver). Again, I ended up with a custom kernel
> without the loop driver and that works, so I'm wondering if the stock
> kernel package will be rebuilt to support it?

Seems like a reasonable request; only issue I see is if current etch
issues are relying on a built-in loop module for some reason.

And yeah, its probably an ABI change, so if we agree to do it, it
would probably not happen until 4.0r3.

Please file a bug (against linux-2.6) and we can discuss it there.

--
dann frazier