Linux Kernel Configuration Know-how

Hi,

OK, newbie question here, i try to cut it for short to ask:
Let's say i want to compile linux kernel for unsupported machine in debian,
like mine REAL6410 board which is ARM S3C64XX machine flavor.

I found difficult to config all the options especially the networking subsystem.
I currently do it with grab the nearest possible config in debian armel ports,
(although there is no similar supported machine flavor) and config the arch
options by hand and just leave the other subsystem like the networking part
or disable some options that i'm sure not necessary for this machine.

So, what's the recommended way to doing this? Plz guide.

Sh. Niew