Re: ZFS in Buster

Hi Jonathan,

On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 8:50 PM Jonathan Carter <jcc@debian.org> wrote:
> On 2019/05/28 18:43, Dan wrote:
> > ZFS 0.8 has been released with lots of improvements, notably encryption.
>
> Yep, it's an exciting feature.
>
> > Sadly the Linux Kernel has introduced a commit in kernel 4.19 and 5.0
> > that prevents ZFS from using SIMD. The result is that ZFS won't be
> > usable in Buster. See the following issue
> > https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/issues/8793
>
> Buster ships zfs-dkms version 0.7.12-2 though, which works just fine on
> buster.

My message was not accurate. I think that the commit has been
introduced in in 4.19.38 (released 2019-05-02). I think that Debian
Buster uses 4.19.37

https://cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/ChangeLog-4.19.38

The commit also affects ZFS 0.7 because SIMD is used for checksum operations.

There might be a performance penalty in ZFS only if Debian Buster
upgrades to 4.19.38.

Best,
Daniel