Any interest in a patch porting Ubuntu's VLAN= cmdline option for Debian initramfs-tools?

Good morning,

[I have searched the list archives and the debian bugzilla, but not got any hits on this being discussed already. If it has, apologies, I missed it.]

I make extensive use of Debian on single board computers, and have a use case to run them diskless over a VLAN using nbd-server & dnsmasq to provide DHCP, TFTP and NBD. (SDCARDs are impractical due to the maintenance costs due to poor reliability over time in harsh environments.)

Unfortunately, the Debian initramfs-tools does not support configuring a VLAN from the kernel command line. I have patched it to add the flag, "vlan=eth0.775:eth0", as Ubuntu (https://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/impish/man7/initramfs-tools.7.html), without some of its ugly s390 compatibility bits.

The patch would be small, maybe 10 lines, just to init and scripts/function (+more lines for the documentation).

Would this be of interest? If so I'll follow the instructions here: https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/initramfs-tools/blob/master/docs/maintainer-notes.md and send you a proper patch.

Thanks

Matthew

Dr. Matthew A. Swabey – Director

Bechtel Innovation Design Center, Purdue University, USA

Room BIDC 225 | (765) 494-8655 | maswabey@purdue.edu