Re: Enable CONFIG_UCLAMP_TASK by default in debian

On 05/24/23 10:18, Salvatore Bonaccorso wrote:
> Package: src:linux
> Version: 6.1.27-1
> Severity: wishlist
>
> Hi
>
> On Sat, May 20, 2023 at 10:50:02PM +0100, Qais Yousef wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Debian kernels don't ship with CONFIG_UCLAMP_TASK and CONFIG_UCLAMP_TASK_GROUP
> > configs enabled in the kernel, is there any reason for that?
> >
> > These configs enable smarter performance management for tasks and it'd be good
> > to know if there's a reason preventing you from enabling it.
> >
> > Some useful docs:
> >
> > 	https://kernel.org/doc/html/latest/scheduler/sched-util-clamp.html?highlight=util+clamp
> > 	https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/uclampset.1.html
> >
> > Happy to contribute patches if that helps.
>
> I cannot yet judge if it is sensible, as unkown which impact it
> otherwise has to enable those, but let's make a tracking bug for your
> request.

Sorry for the delayed response.

When uclamp is not used, it's protected with a static key in the kernel, so
should add no extra overhead when not used; if that's the concern you have.

Ubuntu ships with these configs enabled FWIW.

Thanks for creating the bug!

--
Qais Yousef