Re: [debian-knoppix] Knoppix 3.0 availability (english question this time)

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 12:18:15PM +0200, David GLAUDE Mailing wrote:
> >[Colin wrote]
> >>while playing with Knoppix 3.0, I made notes about a few things that
> >this is not the first time I read about a version 3.0, but where can I get
> >it?
> >The mirrors mentioned on http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/ just have
> >KNOPPIX_V2.2-BETA-14-05-2002 ISOs...
>
> Knoppix 3.0 was to be distribute at Linux TAG.
> The Beta program did stop with the version above.
> That was to make sure Linux TAG visitor will be the first to have access to
> 3.0.

Well, mostly because I lacked of time in the last few weeks before
LinuxTag, though.

> I don't know what is the plan, but I would expect that since Linux TAG is
> over,
> 3.0 could/should be distributed.
> Maybe it is a matter of time?
> Maybe Knopper can give some of us access to the restricted FTP area?

Currently I'm in Munich, giving an administration class, with no access
to sufficient bandwidth to upload the full CD to a mirror. But my plan
is to integrate KDE3.0 and a new patchlevel of openoffice as soon as
they are available, around midst of July, for the next downloadble
version of Knoppix (which we may call 3.1 then).

Additionally, I got a lot of feedback and cranky hardware bug reports
on LinuxTag, some of which already have workarounds that should be
implemented soon for the next release. I need some time for this, though.

> If it is not to be distributed like the other Beta...

The LinuxTag edition was a contract work for BSI, the german Bundesamt
für Sicherheit in der Informationstechnik. It is still GPL, but the BSI
logo (cover, bootscreen, documentation on the CD) is of course legally
protected for BSI, so there could be a problem if the CD is modified or
commercially sold somewhere else with their logo still present. I myself
would prefer to only distribute the next release (with the Knoppix logo
replaced) publically, but if anyone of you wants to offer the genuine
LinuxTag version for download, that's OK with me.

> Do we have to order the CD?

I can send you a copy if you send me a stamped return envelope, no
problem. But this specific version is not to be sold anywhere.

> Is it ok if a German that went to Linux TAG distribute an ISO of the CD he
> get?

Yes, as long as modified versions do not contain the BSI logo.

> PS: I think this was discuss in German a few weeks ago, but I did not
> understand a word of it. ;-)

Hmm... I don't remember such a discussion, but maybe I did not catch up
on all my mail yet, during the past 4 weeks around LinuxTag. ;-)

-Klaus
--
Klaus Knopper                  LinuxTag 2002 - Europes largest Linux Expo
Technical Solutions                                 Where .com meets .org