Re: [debian-knoppix] Undefined behaviour after some uptime

At Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:13:41PM +0100, Nils Magnus wrote:
> longer time or when running memory consuming applications like mozilla,
> ethereal with large dumps, ettercap or stuff like that. At times either
> those applications or the KDE components seem to crash.
>
> I would expect the kernel to deny allocation of new pages/processes if
> there is not enough memory left but rather not crashing arbitrarily
> applications. Has anyone else experienced this behavior? Personally, I

No, but I did not run Knoppix for longer time. But what you are experiencing
seems like the standard "opportunistic" memory management: Linux hands out
more memory than there's actually there. When a certain program starts using
a memory page that is not actually there anymore, there is no solution but
to kill of a random program.

There are patches that make Linux behave more correct - but this will
probably restrict your Knoppix usage even more.

Search google for "oom killer", that will probably give more info.

V.