[debian-knoppix] INIT-respawn-error

Hi all,

I would like to thank all of you developers out there (esp. K.K. and C.P)
for your work, that makes it so fool-proof to install a (sometimes too)
state-of-the-art Debian system (not mentioning what it can do besides
this)!

I have been working with such a Knoppix-on-harddisk-installation and now
it is the second time that I get a very annoying problem:

After some time up - with several APM-suspends in between - I got the
message

INIT: Id "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

After that, the corresponding virtual console (Alt-F4) was dead. But not
enough with that: X is dead since then. It complains that exactly virt.
console 4 is not working.
At the same time ssh was malfunctioning on that machine. It said:
PRNG not seeded.
and exits. Very strange.
Most other tings still work: console login, mounting-NFS-shares, network.

Well this machine was running SuSE for 1 yeas now without anything like
that and a selfmade Woody for 4 months without any problems. But with a
former version of Knoppix and with mid-november 2002 version it did things
like described above.

The first time I had trouble, I reinstalled Knoppix immediately, but this
time I examined the system a bit. But because I need my notebook to work
on, I will reinstall Knoppix again (now version 2003-01-01) tonight.

Don't think this is a unique problem: on my fileserver (NFS, smb), which
is running the same version of Knoppix (but without X running), today I
spotted the same behaviour, now with two consoles (2,6) dead, and the
message from above repeating every 5 minutes (with resp. numbers).

What do you think of that? Has it anything to do with Knoppix, Debian,
kernel-version (2.4.19), hardware (notebook: celeron-mobile 450, 192M,
server: Pentium Pro 200, 128M)??

Any comments welcome.

Gruß / Greetings
		   Christof