Re: [debian-knoppix] Problem to mount ext3

On Wednesday, 12 Mar 2003, Ulrich Hermann schrieb:

Hallo Ulrich,

> Am Donnerstag, 3. April 2003 22:29 schrieb Dieter Wirz:
> > On Tuesday, 11 Mar 2003, Ulrich Hermann schrieb:
> >             ^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Hallo Ulrich,
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am try to change my filesystem from ext2 to ext3. I did this already
> > > many times with my Debian systems. I used tune2fs -j /dev/hda6 and then I
> > > changed the fstab to ext3. But with knoppix I got during booting the
> > > following message:
> > >
> > > EXT2-fs warning (device ide0(3,6)): ext2_read_super: mounting ext3
> > > filesystem as ext2
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Ulrich
> >
> > You have to recompile the Kernel with
> > CONFIG_EXT3_FS=y
> >
> > regards
> >
> > -didi
>

> May be there is another reason. lsmod shows the modul ext3, that
> means it's already loaded.

The System tries to mount the Harddisk with the root filesystem and where
the modules are. But at this moment during boot the Kernel
has no access to the modules and therefore / is mounted as ext2....

There are as allways in Linux several solutions:
1. recompile the Kernel with
CONFIG_EXT3_FS=y
(and not CONFIG_EXT3_FS=m)

2. As Chistian mentioned: boot via a Ramdisk.

And I am shure, there ar other solutions....

-didi