Re: [debian-knoppix] Re: Re : [debian-knoppix] Can connect to ISP but can't connect to Internet (Former re: Modem problem)

Hi Christian,

On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 17:10, Christian Perle wrote:

> You are allowed to use kedit if the user who owns the X session gives
> display permissions to users on the same machine. _Before_ getting
> root privileges with su, do "xhost +localhost".

Noted with thanks.  It works

$xhost +localhost
Localhost being added to access to control list

"kedit" can be started.

> After getting root privileges, you may need to set the DISPLAY variable
> to :0.0 ("export DISPLAY=:0.0").  Then you can run X programs as root
> although the X session was started by a normal user.

Could you please explain further in more detail.  Thanks in advance.

> > root@ttyp0[root]# poff
> > /usr/bin/poff: More than one pppd running and no -a option and
> > no arguments supplied. Nothing stopped.
>
> This is very strange. Did you check if _really_ more than one pppd is
> running?

Configure ADSL again.
Now it works normal

root@ttyp3[root]# poff
root@ttyp3[root]# ifconfig ppp0
ppp0: error fetching interface information: Device not found
root@ttyp3[root]# pon
root@ttyp3[root]# ifconfig ppp0
ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
          inet addr:202.123.68.1  P-t-P:202.123.71.254
Mask:255.255.255.255
          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1492  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
          RX bytes:64 (64.0 b)  TX bytes:97 (97.0 b)

> How about starting over and configure the whole thing with pppoeconf?
> IMHO this tool is far better than the KDE crap (at least for dsl).

Sorry I am not aware of pppoeconf.  Is it starting from configuring the
network card.  But "neat" could not start it.

B.Regards
Stephen