Re: [debian-knoppix] Re: random crashes with SMP system

Le Jeudi 11 Septembre 2003 14:18, baldyeti a écrit :
> Just a bit of followup, but still no luck with this one ;-(
>
> Looking at syslog, the only suspiscious thing I see is network
> timeouts in the last moments before crashing. I don't know
> whether this points at the cause or at a symptom, but anyway
> seeing that I thought I'd try and generate some sustained
> network activity and see what happens. Well what I've seen is
> worse than what I thought at first, meaning it crashes even when
> booting off the CD. This is true for 6/6/03 (kernel 2.4.20),
> 26/7/03 (kernel 2.4.21) and 5/9/03 (kernel 2.4.22).
> It also holds when running from the HD and a vanilla debian
> kernel-image-686-smp (thanks for the suggestion, Matthias).
>
> I found a note on the SuSE site saying "acpi=oldboot" was needed
> as a boot parameter for those machines, but this has not worked for
> me. Could it possibly be a SuSE-specific kernel patch, that debian
> does not understand? BTW, given a kenel version, where are all the
> valid boot parameters documented?
>
> Needless to say, if someone has any more suggestion, I'd gladly
> try it.

Hello

I have a weird dual-celeron (Abit BP6) and it works really fine.
Some times ago I had problems similar to yours, due to a bad RAM.

I've used the GPL memtest program http://www.memtest86.com/
and it quickly detected my badram.

You can either compile your own (gcc 2.95) or use the pre-compiled one
both works equally for me.

hope it will solve your pb.
Alain