[debian-knoppix] Remastering woth 2.4.22 Kernel problematic?

Hi guys,

I remastering here a knoppix version (for our new students in the next
month), but I have big trouble geting it run with the 2.4.22er Kernel.

My Image works pretty well, if I use a 2.4.21 Kernel, and I didn't
changed much while upgrading to 2.4.22, but my Image stops, when it
comes to this Point in the miniroots linuxrc:

====
cp -a /KNOPPIX/etc/ftpusers /KNOPPIX/etc/passwd /KNOPPIX/etc/shadow /KNOPPIX/etc/group \
      /KNOPPIX/etc/ppp /KNOPPIX/etc/isdn /KNOPPIX/etc/ssh \
      /KNOPPIX/etc/inittab /KNOPPIX/etc/network /KNOPPIX/etc/sudoers \
      /KNOPPIX/sbin/init /KNOPPIX/etc/dhcpc /etc/ 2>/dev/null
====

The System just hangs.
I played a bit with -v, or splitting it in many cp statements, but it
keeps crashing, while cp'ing passwd.

Let me tell you again: It works with my 2.4.21 Kernel, and Klaus is
using a 2.4.22 Kernel in his last image (which of course works), so I
have no clue what to do now.

I compared Klaus' and my Kernel-config, and don't see a problem there,
too.

I don't know why, but even if I just use his Kernel-Config, my Image
does not boot...
May I ask you, Klaus, which compiler Version you are using? Since I'm
using the one in sid, the problem might be there... (Dear me, how to
fill a proper bugreport with this?)

Yours sincerely
  Alexander