Re: [debian-knoppix] Old Bios boot with floppy

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 10:37:03AM -0800, Stephen Samuel wrote:
> I remember seeing a FOSS boot floppy that was just designed to
> allow a legacy machine to boot off of the CD-ROM.  I wish I
> could find it, because I have an old machine that keeps choking
> the rom-o-matic floppy.

Of course! That was a possibility that I did not even think off: You
could make a grub-boot-floppy which reads kernel and initrd from the
CD-Rom, and boots the kernel. Though I'm not sure if it is possible in
all cases, since the BIOS addresses of CD-Roms may vary.

Maybe we should put such a floppy image on the knoppix mirrors, for
really old computers.

Regards
-Klaus Knopper