Re: serving a large file over a LAN?

On Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 02:13:03PM +0100, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> Robert Citek wrote:
> >
> > I've got an image of a Debian partition that's about 3.1 GB.  Using
> > Knoppix I'd like to serve it up over the local network without requiring
> > a username and password.
>
> there is  always a username involved. you just need to make
> sure no authentication is asked for. won't scp or rsync do the
> job for you?

Depends on the kind of authentication. I would recommend public key
authentication, which is easy to set up, easily scriptable, and does not
decrease security.

> I am puzzled why you find limits in a web server. 3.1Gb is
> fine - after all, its how we download a Knoppix DVD!

The webserver needs to be compiled with the LARGE_FILE option, though,
which is incompatible with some third-party modules, which is probably
why debian does not ship an apache which is compiled with that feature.
I had to recompile apache2 on my webserver, too, in order to serve DVD
images.

Regards
-Klaus Knopper