Re: Best way to proceed for a 64-bits version of Knoppix?

>I am interested, though: what applications do you find benefit greatly
>from the 64-bit kernel?  And how much RAM do you need to have installed to
>make the switch to 64-bits pay off?

I have 2-5 important use cases right now:

1. R with large (3+ GB) data.   Needs 64 bits.
2. Vmware Workstation running 64-bits guests, Win7 for example. Needs 64 bits to run well.
3. Image processing/editing.  Benefits from 64 bits.
4. Tasks like MCMC (Markov Chain Monte Carlo).  Faster computing, easier workflow.
5. Possibly databases - here I am more unsure.

Normally, one would not use Knoppix for such tasks.  But things aren't that normal anymore. :-)

Trond