Slow boot from usb

Hi,
booting from usb seems a bit slower with the new init ( cpio based minirt ).
It seems the first it try every device except usb then try usb.

With the old system ( linuxrc ) it was much faster booting from usb.

I modified the init script putting sd[a-z][0-9]* before hd* ( row  BOOTDEV
in $(listpartitions ...   )  but the discovery time was pratically the same.
The usb modules are already in the kernel, what can I do to improve the
discovery time?

Thanks

Max