Re: New Knoppix

On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 15:34:21 -0700
jd1008 <jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 02/03/2016 02:21 PM, John Culleton wrote:
> > On Mon, 01 Feb 2016 09:47:54 -0700
> > jd1008 <jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I echo Jim for the latest release.
> >> Wanted to ask: Is there a way to increase the
> >> speed?
> >>
> >> One way I have been thinking of applies to
> >> systems with lots of ram - like 32GB and
> >> higher. What I was thinking of is to loadthe
> >> whole system into a carved out chunk of ram
> >> (ramdisk) and mount the ramdisk as /
> >>
> >> What do you think of that idea?

> > one of the features of Knoppix is to load the
> > entire system onto a hard disk location. This
> > will in some cases speed up running time.
> True - but the benefit of a live DVD disappears.
> What benefit is that?
> After you reboot, there is no history left
> anywhere on DVD or on RAM disk.
> Ponder that carefully.

I just use Knoppix as a hard disk operating
system on my laptop, and as a rescue dvd. I
hated Vista, Slackware wasn't handy to set up
with my wireless router, Knoppix was the
solution for my laptop. I consider it to be the
handiest member of the Debian family. So sue
me :<)

If you use Knoppix my way as a HD OS you just
save files the usual way.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press