Re: Description for libwhisker2-perl

OoO En cette fin de matinée  radieuse du lundi 24 mars 2008, vers 11:00,
Justin B Rye <jbr@edlug.org.uk> disait:

>> libwhisker is a flexible, portable and contained Perl module
>> implementing fast and small replacements to the usual HTTP testing
>> functions, as available in LWP, URI, HTML::Parser, MIME::Base64, etc.

> "Contained" isn't the word you're looking for (it means "reticent,
> restrained").  Perhaps "compact"?

It  is upstream  wording. This  means "no  external  dependencies". What
other word could be used?

> Isn't this libwhisker2, not libwhisker?  Though come to that, what
> is it exactly that bears this name?  The .pm is "LW2", the .deb is
> "libwhisker2-perl".  It would be helpful if this was mentioned
> somewhere, perhaps as

>     This package provides libwhisker2 (LW2), a flexible, portable
>     and compact Perl module [...]

> I'm avoiding the sentence-initial lowercase "l", since it's not
> clear that it's the sort of name that's entitled to disobey the
> ordinary capitalisation rules.  (Indeed, why isn't it LibWhisker2?)

Upstream call it libwhisker 2.x.

If I  summarize your changes, I  get (extra spaces are  mine, they won't
get into the final version):

 This  package provides  libwhisker 2  (LW2), a  flexible,  portable and
 compact  Perl module implementing  fast and  small replacements  to the
 usual HTTP  testing functions, as available in  LWP, URI, HTML::Parser,
 MIME::Base64, etc without any external dependency.

 It supports:
    - HTTP 0.9, 1.0, and 1.1;
    - persistent connections (with keep-alives);
    - proxying;
    - anti-IDS features;
    - SSL (through libnet-ssleay-perl);
    - chunked encoding;
    - basic and NTLM authentication.

I   have   completed   the   description  with   the   "no   dependency"
thing. However, this  may be worthless to mention  it in the description
of a Debian package.

Many thanks for the feedback.
--
I WILL NOT AIM FOR THE HEAD