Re: [BTS#658415] templates://golang-weekly/{golang-weekly-tools.templates} : Final update for English review

Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Christian PERRIER wrote:
>
> Shouldn't this say "Go programming language compiler (weekly snapshot)"
> or something similar to distinguish it from the main golang package?

That's what I thought until I discovered that the only golang packages
available for the golang metapackage to pull in are the -weekly ones.
At present, warning people to use that instead seems rather futile.

> [...]
>> - Go is an experiment. We hope adventurous users will give it a try and
>> - see if they enjoy it. Not every programmer will, but we hope enough
>> - will find satisfaction in the approach it offers to justify further
>> - development. The language can (and still does) change between weekly
>> - releases, check http://golang.org/doc/devel/weekly.html before
>> - upgrading this package.
>> + This package provides an assembler, a compiler, and a linker for the
>> + Go programming language. This is Google's implementation of the Go
>> + tool chain.
>
> The warning about lack of stability seems relevant to someone
> considering whether to install the package.  Maybe something like this,
> to give the same hints more briefly:
>
>  This package provides an assembler, a compiler, and a linker for the
>  Go programming language. This is Google's implementation of the Go
>  tool chain.
>  .
>  Go is young. There are still language changes between weekly
>  releases, described at http://golang.org/doc/devel/weekly.html.
>
> Or maybe, stealing text from that page:
>
>  This package provides an assembler, a compiler, and a linker for the
>  Go programming language. This is Google's implementation of the Go
>  tool chain.
>  .
>  Weekly snapshots occur often and may not be stable. If stability of
>  API and code is more important than having the latest features, use
>  the official releases from the golang package instead.

Bear in mind that these packages are already in Testing; if the idea
is that some particular individual weekly snapshot is going to end up
as the only version of golang released with Wheezy, the text above
won't make much sense.

> By the way, why is this a separate source package instead of being
> called golang in experimental?

Or to put it another way, if the upstream versions of the last three
golang-weekly releases are 2011.09.07, 2011.09.21, and 2012.01.27, why
is it called -weekly?