Re: FAQ.html and MANUAL.html, was Re: fwd: Re: Re: Please review changed man-file of w3m

Hello Justin,

remark1 = we won't be able to mend all of the flaws in w3m's documentation
remark2 = beyond my horizon

Justin B Rye schrieb am 26. Mai 2016 um 19:58

> markus.hiereth@freenet.de wrote:
> [...]
> >
> >> These ought to do something if you decipher README.mouse and configure
> >> things appropriately, but I've never tested it.
> >
> > I had a look on README.mouse too now. I did not find command "MOUSE"
> > there. Anyway, I am not keen on the tests necessary to make it clear
> > what command MOUSE serves for. For all the MOUSE commands, I would
> > limit efforts to copy the description given in main.c:
> >
> >   DEFUN(msToggle, MOUSE_TOGGLE, "Toggle mouse support")
> >   DEFUN(mouse, MOUSE, "mouse operation")
> >   DEFUN(sgrmouse, SGRMOUSE, "SGR 1006 mouse operation")
> >   DEFUN(movMs, MOVE_MOUSE, "Move cursor to mouse cursor (for mouse action)")
> >   DEFUN(menuMs, MENU_MOUSE, "Pop up menu at mouse cursor (for mouse action)")
> >   DEFUN(tabMs, TAB_MOUSE, "Move to tab on mouse cursor (for mouse action)")
> >   DEFUN(closeTMs, CLOSE_TAB_MOUSE,
> >
> > [...]

> I hadn't notice that MOUSE was one we hadn't dealt with before.
> Well, MOUSE and SGRMOUSE do *something*, though the only effect I've
> been able to detect is that they interfere with clicking on a link
> to move the cursor.

remark1

> [...]
> >
> >> Oh, the other segfault function.  Have we reported this one?
> >
> > No.
>
> I would guess it's something like this one:
> http://linux.math.tifr.res.in/programming-doc/Ygl/multimap.htm
> In which case we probably don't care.

remark2

> [...]
> >>
> >> Well, there's an obscure reference here:
> >> 	http://w3m.sourceforge.net/RELNOTE-0.4
> >
> > OK. Still I miss a clue on the differences to REDRAW. main.c reveals
> > that they call for different sets of subroutines. A w3m developer
> > shall explain this.
> >
> > Do you prefer "rerender" oder "re-render"?
>
> Or re-rend-o-der?  "Re-render buffer".

I accidentally used the german 'oder' instead of 'or'
"Re-render buffer" is used as description

I was too lazy to analyse the way in which "in a tab" was used in the
Google hits, but this one ...

> > Functional CSS Tabs Revisited | CSS-Tricks
> >
> > https://css-tricks.com/functional-css-tabs-revisited/
> > 23 Aug 2011 ... When a radio button is :checked, make the adjacent
> > content area sit on top with
> > ..... such as a long name in a tab, the tab stretches for the name.
>
> Again "within a (preexisting) virtual thumb-tab".

... was worth reading as I could not imagine that it is possible to
implement tabs in HTML just with CSS. I dislike the flood of
JavaScript in nowadays' web.

> > www.elated.com/articles/javascript-tabs/
> > 17 Mar 2009 ... Here's the first of the 3 tab content div s in the
> > example: .... Used by init() and
> > showTab() to extract the content div ID referenced in a tab link.

> Another accidental juxtaposition of words, and fake tabs.

That's, however, a good introduction in creating tabs using
JavaScript.

[...]

> So as far as I can tell *none* of those hits were for "in a tab" in
> the sense of "open this link in a tab"!

> >> "As a tab" would avoid that misinterpretation, but
> >> "in a *new* tab" probably handles it equally well.

> > We should decide which preposition to prefer in this context. So far,
> > we have a mixture of "within a tab" and "in a tab".

> (We should avoid "within" when we're talking about the tab coming
> into existence.)

> > My problem with "as a tab" and "as a buffer" is that "as" suggests
> > (to me) that content (text, data) and container (tab, buffer,
> > storage area) are the same.

> Yes, that's enough of a disadvantage that I'm not pushing for it -
> "in a new tab" works well enough.

Fine. "within a tab" "within a buffer" have been replaced throughout.

> Ah!  The source of my bafflement was just that I hadn't worked out
> you were using <""> to mean an escaped <"> within <">-quotes.

I concede that I did not check all these changes connected to
exporting the table from my LibreOffice spreadsheet to a csv-file.  I
did not want to attach the ods-file as contains tables not relevant
anymore for our discussion.

> > Wouldn't it be better to write "in front of" / "behind" the cursor?

> I'm not sure why you'd want those longer versions.  Personally, I
> always find "in front of the cursor" confusing - shouldn't anything
> in front of the cursor stop me seeing the cursor?  BEFORE and AFTER
> are technically correct enough for the function names, and they
> don't make me worry that I don't know which end of the gun is the
> shooty end.

OK

> >> I haven't even tried to test this.
> >
> > I can not even imagine the keyboard input method for this group of
> > commands "MENU:*"

> Ah!  I've got it.  You create a file in your w3mconfigdir called
> "menu" (like /usr/share/doc/w3m/examples/menu.default) and fill it
> with commands that you want to be able to access by popping things
> up from the MENU binding.  And then picking an option off that menu
> that's bound to SUSPEND effectively calls "bg".

> I even configured a menu once; I never used it, but it's still in my
> archives.

Yes, I wrote a file ~/.w3m/menu myself too and appreciate this way to
configure w3m according to personal preferences. But my version of
this file contains only simple commands like

SOURCE
HELP
OPTIONS
QUIT

I just edited menu and added two items
  func   " Suspend      "  SUSPEND
  func   " menuSuspend  "  MENU:SUSPEND

The first calls, as you wrote "bg", the latter has no effect.

Another test, as SUSPEND could override MENU:SUSPEND

  func   " Close        "  CLOSE
  func   " menuClose    "  MENU:CLOSE

None of the two had an effect. I assume that the trouble comes from
fact that it should be mentioned that these group of commands is not
meant to be introduced in the configuration file .w3m/menu but bound
to a key combination. In your mail dated 8th april you assumed that
the BUF:* group is mapped "hardwired" and so the MENU:* group seems to
be too. For example / is bound to MENU:SEARCH_FORE and ? bound to
MENU:SEARCH_BACK. Anyway. remark1

I went another time through the descriptions, made

- the "within a" "in a" replacement

- replaced "rendered copy of page" by "rendered copy of document" as
  elsewhere, we speak of pages as the part of a document which is
  displayed on the screen

- replaced "relative URL" as it contains a contradiction within
  itself. as the letter U stands for unique. "relative addresse" or
  "relative path" fits better.

- made PREV_PAGE, NEXT_PAGE, PREV_HALF_PAGE, NEXT_HALF_PAGE uniform

and a few further corrections or changes. The diff-file is attached.

> >> Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)
>
> Oh!  Mutt didn't give me my usual d-l-e sig.
>
> > !kak hknA (Ancient Hebrew blessing)

> In fact they are related languages, as you can easily tell from the
> affixes used to mark second-person-masculine-singular possessive; -k
> in Ancient Egyptian, -ka in Ancient Hebrew.  "Ankh ka-k" is "may thy
> soul live".

Then, "Ankh kak" complements nicely this dry but serious technical
debate and is worth being learnt with respect to the mummies' next
visit.

Best regards
Markus
26c26
< EDIT_SCREEN,0,,Edit rendered copy of page,Edit rendered copy of page
---
> EDIT_SCREEN,0,,Edit rendered copy of document,Edit rendered copy of document
35c35
< GOTO,0,,Open new URL,Open URL within a new buffer
---
> GOTO,0,,Open URL,Open URL in new buffer
37,38c37,38
< GOTO_LINK,0,,Follow hyperlink,Follow current hyperlink within a new buffer
< GOTO_RELATIVE,0,,Go to relative URL,Open relative URL in a new buffer
---
> GOTO_LINK,0,,Follow hyperlink,Follow current hyperlink in a new buffer
> GOTO_RELATIVE,0,,Go to relative addresse,Open relative addresse in a new buffer
53,54c53,54
< LIST_MENU,0,,Pop up menu for following hyperlinks,Pop up list menu and follow the selected hyperlink
< LOAD,0,,Open local file,Open local file within another buffer
---
> LIST_MENU,0,,Pop up menu for hyperlinks to browse to,Pop up hyperlink menu and select one to be followed
> LOAD,0,,Open local file,Open local file in a new buffer
65c65
< MOVE_DOWN1,0,,Cursor down,Move the cursor down (with a one-line at the screen edge)
---
> MOVE_DOWN1,0,,Cursor down,Move the cursor down (with a one-line scroll at the screen edge)
76c76
< NEW_TAB,0,,Open new tab,Open current page as new tab
---
> NEW_TAB,0,,Open new tab,Open current page in a new tab
83c83
< NEXT_MARK,0,,Go to the next mark,Go to the next mark
---
> NEXT_MARK,0,,Go to next mark,Go to the next mark
100,101c100,101
< PIPE_SHELL,0,,Execute shell command and display the output,Execute shell command and display the output
< PREV,0,,Previous buffer,Switch to previous buffer
---
> PIPE_SHELL,0,,Execute shell command and display output,Execute shell command and display output
> PREV,0,,Previous buffer,Switch to the previous buffer
104,105c104,105
< PREV_MARK,0,,Go to the previous mark,Go to the previous mark
< PREV_PAGE,0,,Show previous page,Scroll one page up
---
> PREV_MARK,0,,Go to previous mark,Go to the previous mark
> PREV_PAGE,0,,Scroll up one page,Scroll one page upwards
146c146
< TAB_GOTO_RELATIVE,0,,Open relative adresse in new tab,Open relative addresse in a new tab
---
> TAB_GOTO_RELATIVE,0,,Open relative addresse in new tab,Open relative addresse in a new tab
150c150
< TAB_MOUSE,0,,,Move to tab on mouse cursor (for mouse action)
---
> TAB_MOUSE,0,,Select tab by mouse action,Select tab on tab bar by mouse position and click
152c152
< UNDO,0,,Cancel the last cursor movement,Cancel the last cursor movement
---
> UNDO,0,,Cancel last cursor movement,Cancel the last cursor movement
200c200
< ,,Line-editing mode,,input line editing
---