Re: dailydesktopwallpaperplus 4.0.7-1: Please translate debconf PO for the package dailydesktopwallpaperplus

Patrice Coni wrote:
> Dear Debian I18N/l10n people,
>
> I would like to know if some of you would be interested in translating
> dailydesktopwallpaperplus.
>
> Please translate the PO file to english. The attached PO file is in English.

It's usually easier to start from the actual file that the .pot file
is generated from.  This would mean I wouldn't need to convince my
system to ignore the attachment description "MS-Powerpoint
presentation", and more important I'd know what it was trying to be -
is this the proposed package description?

> Since I don't have a good knowledge of English, I ask you to read the
> text of the PO file and translate it correctly into English, if the text is
> fuzzy or bad.

Inlining it for comments:
[...]
>        Daily picture from Bing or Windows-Spotlight as wallpaper
         daily

If this is the package short description, it follows almost all the
rules except it doesn't need a capital "D" in "Daily".

> DailyDesktopWallpaperPlus is a utility to set the daily picture from Bing or
> Windows-Spotlight as wallpaper.

Good start.

>                                   The application allows one a selection of
> several servers from Bing to download a daily picture.

"Allows one" is usually a warning sign that you'd be better off
without the word "allow"; here it might as well be
                                   It offers a selection of servers from Bing
(you can't have a selection of one server, so "several" is redundant).
But what are "servers *from* Bing"?  Does this just mean "Bing servers"?

>                                                         Likewise, the daily
> picture can be obtained from a server  of Windows-Spotlight and can be used
> also as wallpaper.

In fact given that the first sentence already mentioned "from Bing or
Windows-Spotlight", these two seem an unnecessarily longwinded way of
saying "...offering a selection of servers".

(Why would anyone want to pick a different server, anyway?  Is this
about download speed or do they vary in content?)

>                     The photos can be downloaded in different sizes. The
> images that have already  been downloaded can be reused as wallpaper at any
> time. The saved images that have already been downloaded can always be used
> as wallpaper again with DailyDesktopWallpaperPlus's selection  tool.

It could just say:

                       offering a selection of servers and image
  sizes, and caching them so that they can be browsed and selected for reuse at
  any later date in DailyDesktopWallpaperPlus's selection tool.

> DailyDesktopWallpaperPlus changes automatically the wallpaper on on K
> Desktop Environment (KDE) Plasma 5, Cinnamon, XFCE4, MATE, LXDE, Budgie and
> Trinity Desktop Environment (TDE).

Does this mean that all these DEs include a standard infrastructure
for wallpaper-changing that DDW+ can just plug into?  (Not being a DE
or indeed wallpaper user myself I'm unfamiliar with the details.)

I need to at least fix the grammar of the first line, but is it a good
idea to commit yourself to maintaining an accurate and up-to-date list
here?  (For a start, "K Desktop Environment" stopped existing in 2009;
it's just "KDE" now with no expansion.)  If we know that it *doesn't*
work on DeepinDE, GNOME, and LXQt, could you say "all DEs that
provide" whatever it is, and then have it all work via dependencies?

(I imagine it would be possible to use DDW+ *without* a DE by calling
some executable in my Fvwm setup?)

More importantly, I don't see any mention of X11 or Wayland.  Does
this package work on both?  If not, it needs to say so.

>                                     For each picture, further information can
> be obtained directly from the Internet with just one click.

This feature belongs in the feature list that went before the DE
compatibility note.  Making it something like:

  daily picture from Bing or Windows-Spotlight as wallpaper

  DailyDesktopWallpaperPlus is a utility to set the daily picture from Bing or
  Windows-Spotlight as wallpaper, offering a selection of servers and image
  sizes, and caching them so that they can be browsed and selected for reuse
  at any later date in DailyDesktopWallpaperPlus's selection tool. Further
  information for each picture can be obtained directly from the Internet with
  a single click.
  .
  DailyDesktopWallpaperPlus works automatically in Budgie, Cinnamon, KDE
  Plasma 5, LXDE, MATE, TDE, and XFCE4, on either X11 or Wayland.