Re: Change of templates file in fontconfig-config

Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I made a minor — but important — change to the
> debian/fontconfig-config.templates file in the fontconfig source package:
>
> https://salsa.debian.org/freedesktop-team/fontconfig/-/commit/45d8eda0
>
> That created fuzzy items in the PO files. I saw the reference to this list
> in the file, so this is a heads-up. Not sure how a change like this is
> expected to be further processed.

debian-l10n-english is the one part of the debian-i18n hierarchy where
there's no work to be done; it's all the other languages that still
have the bit in parentheses.  Maybe this is a case where you can
safely pick out and delete those bits and declare it unfuzzied,
without needing to be fluent in Urdu and so on?  I'm Ccing d-i18n for
any input.

Mind you, if fontconf-confontconfig-config now has a different default
font, why do the package dependencies still have dejavu as first
preference?  If you aren't running plasma or cinnamon, almost nothing
seems to pull in fonts-noto - not even fonts-recommended.

How is a normal user doing an install expected to know what font they
are going to be using, anyway?  Previously they could say "well, I
don't know enough about all this to want to customise anything, so
apparently I'll need Native hinting, whatever that is"; now they need
to *guess* that the default is some TrueType font they've never heard
of.

(When it talks about Microsoft fonts, does that mean the ones from the
non-free msttcorefonts package that disappeared in Lenny?)