From: "Thomas Vincent" <thomas@vinc-net.fr>
To: debian-i18n@lists.debian.org
Sent: March 1, 2024 at 09:44
Subject: News from DDTSS and request for feedback

Hello!

I wanted to share with you that DDTSS, the service allowing us to
translate package descriptions, recently got two updates that made its
main page load 2 to 3 seconds faster.

Although I intend to keep working on the internals of DDTSS to provide
it a long overdue rejuvenation, I'd also like to improve the user
experience of our brave DDTSS translators.
Here are some ideas off the top of my head that I'd like to address:
* the Italian team has fine scripts that could benefit everybody if they
 were directly provided by DDTSS
* DDTSS remains super slow for a few teams who prefer fetching thousands
 of descriptions
* it's not easy to run DDTSS locally, which hinders code contributions
* if you try to translate during the 'night' (european time), then DDTSS
 becomes excruciatingly slow because it's when the daily update script
 is run. This makes me feel bad for our Brazilian friends, for instance
* we should use Salsa as a way to authenticate users instead of DDTSS'
 legacy homemade solution

But I'm probably blindsided by my own experience with DDTSS. This is why
I'd love to have your feedback about what is OK and what should be improved.
If you have anything to say, please answer this message (on or off
list), ping us on IRC (#ddtp) or open an issue on [Salsa].

Thomas

[Salsa]: https://salsa.debian.org/l10n-team/ddtp/-/issues