Re: Changing processor speeds

On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, Hugo van der Merwe wrote:

> Makes me think of my bios setup: there is an option where you select which
> OS you're using ("mostly"), with the options Win95, Win98 or Other... any
> idea what that might do?

due to microsofts infinite wisdom dos (and so windoze) has trouble
handling more than 1024 cylinders (if I remember correctly).  This problem
can be overcome by reporting that the harddisk has more sectors, etc then
is physically does, as DOS/Windoze accesses the harddisk the BIOS will
convert the C/H/S to their REAL values.

I _think_ linux directly queries the harddisk and bypasses the BIOS
altogether so it doesn't really matter what it is set to.  I think the
Other option generally applies to nasties like Novell :)

> Other thing, I read somewhere a recommendation to turn off (video
> bios?) shadowing, or something like that. I did that on my previous
> computer, but this laptop doesn't have an option like that, and it
> definately shadows something (actually two things, I think). What
> impact does this "shadow" stuff have?

It should make your machine faster, I've always put them on and never
noticed any problems.  However it makes the machine run faster by using a
small amount of you memory, if you have 8Mb or more it shouldn't really be
noticed.  If you have 16Mb then definitly leave this on.  This is my
humble (and unprofessional) opinion :)

> I must say, I wish I had the source code to my bios, 'cause at this point
> I cannot even disable booting from disk! (It is always possible to press
> escape, and get a boot menu with "Disk, Hard Disk, or CDROM"...)

really does sound like you have a phoenix bios.  There is an option, its
called Boot Sequence.  Although you can't disable booting from disk you
can give it a lower priority and make it occur after its searched the
harddisk.  Beware though, I would use the sequence Disk -> CDROM ->
Harddisk -> Whatever remains.  This is because if you run into problems
you can either boot off a disk or cdrom without firstly going through your
bios settings and change them so they will boot off the disk or cdrom.

Besides you shouldn't need to reboot your machine much as you are running
linux :)

ta ra

Alex

--
**       ((__))  Alexander "Jim diGriz" "Hubenko" Clouter