Re: IBM Thinkpad 570 (type 2644) harddisk problem

       I have a problem with the 6.4 GB harddisk on my IBM Thinkpad
       570 (type 2644).  Sometimes, very rarely, only four times since April
       when it was purchased, the harddisk jams and submits terrible sounds,
       like its going to crash. When this happen, the only way out of the
       problems is to turn off the computer and restart it, since the
       computer will lockup when it tries to access the jammed harddisk. A
       few of my friends got the same model around the same time, and they
       experience the same problems (running Debian or FreeBSD). However, the
       problem has never occured under Windows, although it may be too early
       to claim that it will never happen there.

I've been running my Thinkpad 570 (26443AU) for about 4 months now,
and I haven't had anything like that happen.  I use it every day, and
frequently exercise the hard disk.  I don't have Windows on it, if
that means anything.

Walter Landry
landry@physics.utah.edu