Re: ALSA, Tecra 8100, and sound devices

Norman Walsh wrote:

> Hello world,
>
> Armed with Ken Beyer's excellent summary of how to get ALSA drivers
> working on the Tecra 8100[1], I can play sounds with aplay, but other
> programs, like mpg123, complain that /dev/dsp can't be opened. I've run
> the snddevices script. I ought to be able to open dev/dsp:
>
> hermes:~$ ls -ld /dev/dsp
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            9 Jun 17 11:03 /dev/dsp -> /dev/dsp0
> hermes:~$ ls -ld /dev/dsp0
> crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   3 Jun 17 11:03 /dev/dsp0
> hermes:~$ groups
> ndw dialout cdrom floppy audio www-data src video staff games users
>
> Any thoughts? In the meantime, I have a workaround using
>
>         mpg123 -q -s "file.mp3" | aplay -m -q -
>
> but I'd like to have direct support so that I can use other programs
> that drive mpg123.

You need the OSS compatible modules. They are called :
snd-mixer-oss
snd-seq-oss
snd-pcm-oss
(and maybe others).

Here is the relevant section of my modules.conf : as you can see, I
don't have the same sound card, so the snd-card-xxxx module is
different.

alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-via686a
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
options snd-card-via686a snd_mpu_port=0x300

NOTE : I have ALSA 0.5.7 compiled from source, since the version in
Slink did not
support my card. I had to tweek it a little to compile it on
Slink+Kernel 2.2.13

--
FB