Re: lame hack to get dhcpcd and friends working...

> >> that would be appreciated.  now if those scripts were to make it into
> >> a debian package...
> >
> > I know *I'd* certainly appreciate seeing 'em. It's so annoying to
> > watch an ssh link politely remain "alive" (but useless) awaiting a
> > link that can never return because the DHCP lease died and I get
> > reassigned.
>
> Ah, now *that* is a problem that cannot be solved so easily. The problem
> that can be fixed by restarting services is the issue of daemons that
> listen to a local TCP/UDP port.
>
> Sessions already in progress are a lost cause, unfortunately.
>
>         Daniel

While it's true the above can't be solved *usefully* (I can't get the
connection back) with things like the exit hook, I can at least get the
system back some resources.  It can murder the moribund ssh, which would
make it a little more clear to me at the console that the hang was because
the connection had to be reestablished.

The rest of a usable answer involves using screen on the home system, so
when the stupid link dies/has to be murdered, that it will auto-detach and
await reawakening.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places