kernel upgrading on a dell inspiron 7000

I have a debian potato install on my Dell Inspiron laptop which is quite
nice now. I have added the things I really want using apt-get and things are
moving nice.  I now would like to build a 2.2.12 kernel and see that there
are deb packages but am used to rolling my own.  I could see that I would
have to upgrade pcmcia-cs also.  Have others experiences that they could
relate to me regarding strategies on doing this with Debian Potato?

Thanks.

--
Michael Perry
mperry@tsoft.com