Re: Sony Viao F340 was(Re: Tochiba Satellite 2590CDT and Linux)

I have a system with a Neomagic MagicGraph NM2160 video chip and a
1024x768 screen, and get a very nice text console without any framebuffer
support, so that probally won't be nessesary.

As for X, the SVGA server has incorportated all the Suse enhancements, and
I get great support with 3.3.3.1, which is at least in potato, I don't
know what you can get with slink.  Keep in mind you can download decent
binaries from xfree.

As for configuring X, the Xsetup program worked great.  I put my own
restriction on the refresh rate though, since LCD's don't need 80 hz and
the like.  Here is my section monitor:

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier      "Primary Monitor"
   VendorName      "Unknown"
   ModelName       "Unknown"
   HorizSync       31.5-48.5
   VertRefresh     55-65
   Modeline "1024x768" 65.00 1024 1032 1176 1344 768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync
EndSection

Keep in mind this is not particularly special, just wanted to make it as
easy as possible.

The device stuff should all be detected by the SVGA server.